Wednesday, June 27, 2012

oh, no big deal, just living the dream...

Mayne: super dreamy.
Great music festival over the weekend, with dancing and lamburgers and a visit from sweet Sarah. Managed to queeze in some "work" picking strawberries, packaging chickens and the eternal task of weeding.
Today uncle Bill took us three interns sailing up to a little island about 10 miles away- the farm has water access so we put out right from here. Sunned, swam, saw bald eagles, seals, tiny hermit crabs and sea anemones. I found 9 plump oysters for dinner. Learned how to shuck them with a screwdriver. Ate 2 raw. Had the rest cooked in coconut oil, lemon juice and fresh pungent bay leaf. Yes, I'm bragging.

Cool thing: we grow "perpetual spinach" on the farm. It's actually a type of chard. I'm not a fan of chard but I'm LOVING the perpetual spinach. It has a spinachy flavor and tenderness when cooked, but holds its shape much better. Highly recommended.

Will add pictures when I get them off the camera.

There are more pressing matters to attend to, however: a bath in a beautiful mosaic-coverd tub overlooking the cow pasture.

Eat your hearts out.


Pictures:
It rained a lot at the music festival, but we still had fun! yay raincoats :)


"Work". In this case, thinning the beets. That hat has been a godsend. I have NEVER been the sunhat wearing type, but this one is on my head all day long every day. Thanks mum.


Come sail away.

Sailing shenanigans + naptime.

More fun than napping, even!

Fresh raw oysters straight from the shell. Yup.
My dinner: cooked oyster, quinoa pilaf.

The perpetual spinach

Bath time

Made my farmer lady some earings with feathers I filched from the chicken coop. It was her birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Smiling on the Cape thinking of you on Mayne island. So glad you're having a fun summer. I'm very interested in the spinach.

    ReplyDelete