This morning I awoke well-rested to bright sunshine in the spare bed at the top of the building that holds our school and my classmate Lauren's apartment (last night we had an indulgent evening of movie-watching, yummy food and red wine). Sleepovers are the best. woo!
I am very tired of driving, so it was refreshing to ride with Lauren to the farm for a mason jar of sweet-silky-creamy milk this morning, before heading to birthday brunch for Abby, our second oldest classmate (she seems to think thirty is old...). Bacon-bloody marys and mimosas all 'round.
Also in the news:
One of my pet peeves is the lumpen graceless awkwardly shaped cutlery that came with the house. Today I bought $3 worth of 25-cent forks and spoons at the local thrift store: smooth rounded edges, good balance and variety, far more aesthetically pleasing than their predecessors....my satisfaction is almost indecent. Now maybe Andriana won't mind so much when I hide the old set.
Sunday stitch and bitch at the hilltop has petered out somewhat, but as the ranks have dwindled and the homework-doing has increased the menu has stayed pretty tasty. Today I was reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, assigned for nutrition class, and we ate seaweed salad, sweet potatoes, spaghetti, licorice chai....I don't have a picture of any of that but last week was a lovely fresh taste of summer: Caprese salad a la Bridgton grocery store (i.e. they had no fresh basil but spinach and thyme compensated admirably- thanks Lauren for braving the tomatoes!)
I finished knitting the incredibly luxurious baby alpaca hat* I've been working on (thanks to dear mum for the yarn splurge). Not usually one for patterns, this one caught my eye and I just couldn't resist: cool hat, adorable child. yup. Another hat with similar (brilliant) architecture can be found here and may or may not be next on the list.
Missed yet another birth thursday night, which bites, because I drove an hour and forty five down to the mama's house only to be told she was in very early labor and I should go home. So I did. The following evening (after I had already been asleep for a good half hour) I received a text message asking which postpartum appointment I'd like to attend. Mama had her baby after all, but I wouldn't have made it in time so they didn't call. urgh.
Plans for summer are bumbling along. I got an interested call from the farm I've been hoping to work at over the summer, but I was crestfallen to learn they would need me to start in April, and the earliest I could possibly start is the end of May.
Back to the drawing board. Please, if you know of a promising way for me to spend the summer outside making decent money, holler in my direction.
I am burnt out on children, but I'm willing to do pretty much anything else!
As usual, thanks to Lauren Romero for taking sweet pictures and letting me use them :)
*disambiguation: yarn made of baby alpaca fur knit into a hat, not a hat for baby alpacas.
I am very tired of driving, so it was refreshing to ride with Lauren to the farm for a mason jar of sweet-silky-creamy milk this morning, before heading to birthday brunch for Abby, our second oldest classmate (she seems to think thirty is old...). Bacon-bloody marys and mimosas all 'round.
![]() |
| Baby midwives. Some awkward smiles, some sincere ones... |
Also in the news:
One of my pet peeves is the lumpen graceless awkwardly shaped cutlery that came with the house. Today I bought $3 worth of 25-cent forks and spoons at the local thrift store: smooth rounded edges, good balance and variety, far more aesthetically pleasing than their predecessors....my satisfaction is almost indecent. Now maybe Andriana won't mind so much when I hide the old set.
Sunday stitch and bitch at the hilltop has petered out somewhat, but as the ranks have dwindled and the homework-doing has increased the menu has stayed pretty tasty. Today I was reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, assigned for nutrition class, and we ate seaweed salad, sweet potatoes, spaghetti, licorice chai....I don't have a picture of any of that but last week was a lovely fresh taste of summer: Caprese salad a la Bridgton grocery store (i.e. they had no fresh basil but spinach and thyme compensated admirably- thanks Lauren for braving the tomatoes!)
![]() |
| fresh mozzarella is such a treat! |
I finished knitting the incredibly luxurious baby alpaca hat* I've been working on (thanks to dear mum for the yarn splurge). Not usually one for patterns, this one caught my eye and I just couldn't resist: cool hat, adorable child. yup. Another hat with similar (brilliant) architecture can be found here and may or may not be next on the list.
![]() |
| Claudia, me, beaver pond after Abby's birthday brunch, and a mediocre view of the hat of glory. |
![]() |
| The irresistible pattern book. |
Plans for summer are bumbling along. I got an interested call from the farm I've been hoping to work at over the summer, but I was crestfallen to learn they would need me to start in April, and the earliest I could possibly start is the end of May.
Back to the drawing board. Please, if you know of a promising way for me to spend the summer outside making decent money, holler in my direction.
I am burnt out on children, but I'm willing to do pretty much anything else!
As usual, thanks to Lauren Romero for taking sweet pictures and letting me use them :)
*disambiguation: yarn made of baby alpaca fur knit into a hat, not a hat for baby alpacas.




I love your blog Miss B.
ReplyDelete